Pages

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Small Batch Beard Balm with only 3 ingredients

What am I doing talking about beard balm??  Well, my gorgeous husband decided to grow a beard for me.  (I only asked for a year... or two... maybe 3?)  Anyhow, I wanted to make him some beard balm for his new furry chin to keep it conditioned and soothe his skin underneath.  Apparently skin can get kind of dry under there.  Who knew?

Searching the internet for a recipe, they all called for huge amounts of ingredients I didn't have that made batches of 6 or more.  I only know two men with beards, so I decided to make my own after checking out many, many recipes.

Here are the required ingredients for two 2oz tins:


Coconut oil (I buy as a co-op from here)
Beeswax (I got mine locally from a man who sells honey, but you can get on Amazon also)
Essential oil of your choice (I chose a blend of peppermint and orange)
2 - 2oz tins or holders of your choice (I bought a 6 pack of these 2 oz twist lid tins on Amazon, I will use them for other salves)

That's right, 3 ingredients plus a holder!  Can it get much simpler?

Why did I chose these ingredients?
Beeswax - helps manage the beard, conditions, and smells fabulous
Coconut oil - also helps manage the beard, but mainly for conditioning purposes and soothing the skin.  Also, smells fabulous!
Essential oil - while this smelled pretty good on its own, I love adding essential oils for both their fragrance and their health benefits.

How to make it:

Scrape off about 1/3 of an ounce of beeswax into a heat-proof bowl.
Add a few spoonfuls of coconut oil (about 3.5-4 oz)
Melt in a microwave in 15-30 second intervals (starting with the higher, and less as you go on - don't over heat!) stirring quite a bit in between heating sessions.
Once it is all melted, add in approximately 10 drops of your (or, his rather) favorite essential oil.  Mix well with a spoon.
Pour into tins, allow to cool, accept praise.  You're welcome.

Cooling

Pic to show approximately how much beeswax I used off of a 1 oz bar. Also, the one on the left is cooled, the one on the right is cooling to show the difference.  


No comments:

Post a Comment