Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Sprouting seeds and making fodder for the chickens

Day 1, sunflower seeds soaking for 12 hours. 600 ml was too much, 400 looks like not enough, so I will try 500 next time.

Day 2, put in shoebox with holes, watering several times a day and keeping in a warm spot. Cover with light towel to retain moisture. 

They did not like being in that window, too cold. So I moved them to my bathroom counter. It stays warmer in there because there are so many vents in a small area. 

Day 3, still soaking multiple times a day, using warm water. Finally starting to sprout from the shells
I also added corn for the 3rd batch. (This photo is on day 4 though, the corns second day. 


Day 4, still watering several times a day with warm water. Sprouting more. I'm not sure the corn will do anything, we got it from a neighbors farm. It is feed corn. 
I added whole oats as batch 4

Day 5, I will be adding another batch of oats today. The sunflowers are doing ok, just slow. No change in corn yet so I am soaking them longer instead of a short soak/rinse.



No comments:

Post a Comment