Pages

Monday, April 18, 2016

Homemade milking machine fail, husband win!

We have had the goats a few weeks now, and it has truly been a struggle milking Aurora every day. It takes 40 minutes for me to milk, and I get about 2-2.5 cups each day. I'll be completely honest here. It is not worth it to spend 40 minutes getting 2.5 cups of milk and having your hands and back hurt so much that you can barely make it through.
Friday, after forcing myself through another milking,  I decided to make a homemade milker and thought, if this doesn't work, I may have to sell the goats. I don't want to, I love them both and it's been a dream of mine for a while to have them. So I bought the supplies and the husband and I built the milker Friday night. 
Saturday morning, we woke up and I couldn't wait to get out there. This was going to be the day that I got half a gallon of milk in 10 minutes!  
No. The darn thing kept coming unattached, and even when I held it all in place it barely had enough suction to get a small stream of milk. This was NOT what it looked like online. 
After messing with the milker for 15 minutes, and Aurora taking it pretty well, I threw the thing to the side and started milking her the old fashioned way. Even I was faster than that contraption, and you still have to hand squeeze it. 
20 more minutes of me struggling to get my hands to squeeze the milk out, her kicking, etc and my husband says "can I try?"
Yes, go ahead. Please! 
I position myself behind the goat, hold her legs, and watch him get a few misfires. Then, out of no where, this glorious stream came out and went on for several seconds. It just floooowwwwed out. My mouth dropped open and I repeatedly said "no way!" as I sat in awe. I wish I had taken a picture of my husbands grin, he was so proud of himself. I did get this picture though. Gosh he is handsome...

He showed me how he was grabbing higher on the udder, where I was only milking her tiny teat. He milked for a few minutes, then I tried with the new technique. It worked!  All this lovely milk came out and she even kicked less!  We ended up getting a full quart of milk. 
Isn't it beautiful?

Sunday did not go quite as well, but I'll save that for another day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment