Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Homemade sandwich bread


There is nothing like fresh, homemade bread. We make rolls, Italian bread, etc pretty often but I have never made sandwich bread. Well, I take that back. I tried once, and it was nearly impossible to cut because it was so soft/airy. That experience left me hesitant to try again.

We have been out of sandwich bread for 3 days, and I can't get to the grocery until Saturday.  I couldn't take it anymore, so I caved and tried a new recipe hoping it would at least make a decent sandwich. 

I am so glad we were out of bread, because it forced me to try again. And this time - it was DELICIOUS. The perfectly soft, perfectly sliceable, perfect sandwich bread. The only flaw in this bread is that it is all white flour and has refined sugar in it. But I was desperate for a good bread that wouldn't crumble or be a brick, so I sacrificed health for today. ;) I will come back to link the recipe, I believe it was called Amish sandwich bread. 



The recipe made two 9x4 loaves, and one loaf was enough for 5 sandwiches and 5 pieces of "taste testing" slices. (And they passed the test, even for the 3 crust-haters). 

I can't wait for lunch today...

No comments:

Post a Comment